The Recreational Rafting Committee is tasked with advancing Article 5, Section 12 of the Bylaws:
Encourage the development of recreational rafting as a contribution to a healthy lifestyle for all ages and abilities.
Recreational Rafting is a water based activity available to everyone. We share many articles on our social media and website for those wanting to take up the thrills of white water rafting, to those looking for peaceful trips on quiet rivers where you can just be as one with nature.
The IRF’s Guide Training & Education (GTE) system is the only globally recognised raft guide certification.
You can find a rafting tour operator with IRF certified guides here.
Rafting Operator Accreditation (ROA)
The Rafting Operator Accreditation (ROA) is a credential issued by the International Rafting Federation (IRF) to operators that offer rafting guided or instructional services.
Recreational rafting that is accessible/ inclusive/ adaptive
Besides our Para Raft Racing, there are many rafting operators in the world who are making rafting more and more accessible for those less abled so they too can get into rafts and enjoy the thrill of white water. Read Accessible Tourism – a great way to boost your numbers to find out what you, as an operator, can do to make your trips more accessible/ inclusive.
Below we will be highlighting recreational operators who cater for accessible/ inclusive rafting, and providing some links to informative websites about this.
If you are a rafting tour operator or an organisation or know of ones that offer or work in inclusive/ accessible tourism, then please send us the details and what it is that is offered so we can list them on our website here.
- South Eastern Expeditions in the USA offer river trips for those with mobility or other limitations.
- Arizona Raft Adventures offer inclusive trips on the Grand Canyon, USA
- National Sports Center for the Disabled offer trips on the Upper Colorador
- Rocky Mountain Adaptive. can take you white water rafting in Canada
When doing your own research, search using “accessible” or “inclusive” or “adaptive” rafting.
- UN – www.un.org/development/desa/disabilities/issues/promoting-accessible-tourism-for-all
- UN World Tourism Organisation – UNWTO Recommendations on Accessible Information in Tourism.
- A very handy document is Makingtrax’s Standard Protocols for clients in a wheelchair.
- Makingtrax focuses on the experience rather than infrastructure. National Geographic UK had this to say about Makingtrax – “In New Zealand, initiatives like Makingtrax are a good indication of what the future has in store. The scheme brings together several accessible-friendly operators from across the country, whether they specialise in whitewater rafting, tandem skydives, kayaking or canyon swings. It functions as a sort of membership collective, collecting the relevant operators together in one place.”
- Saeed Zaroori -an adventure junky in a wheel chair who feels life needs to be lived to the fullest. www.saeedzaroori.com.
- Tourism e School
- WheelChairtTaveling.com/adventure-active-wheelchair-travel – covers activities world wide
- National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability – Endless CapABILITIES Blog
Recent recreational rafting news
The Rivers and Forests Alliance (RAFA) have an awesome auction coming up where you can bid on some incredible adventure trips in all sorts of places around the world. An Alaskan multi-day rafting trip Two different California rafting trips A historic Colombia rafting and cultural adventure A multi-day, multi-sport adventure in Huasteca Potosina, Mexico Costa Rica
The Peruvian Association of Adventure Tourism, Ecotourism and Specialised Tourism (APTAE) is the guild of adventure tourism in Peru. They are the Peruvian union that aims to disseminate, encourage and promote adventure tourism, ecotourism and specialised tourism in the country. We welcome them as Associate Members. APTAE History APTAE was born on October 29, 1981
HATEOA joins the IRF as an Associate member The Hellenic Association of Tourism Enterprises in Outdoor Activities (HATEOA) represents the companies that offer tourist services of outdoor leisure activities and are active both in the countryside and in the urban environments of Greece. Founded in 2012, it is a member of SETE and the European