Having fun on the rivers is what its all about to many of us, and being safe while doing it can mean having fun memories or having great regrets for the rest of your life. The IRF has been bringing you some river safety tips on a regular basis now and we’ll continue to do so. We hope you enjoy and learn from them. We hope they motivate you to stay safe and better experienced while doing the sport we all love.
River safety articles on our website:
- Weirs – nice to play in? Or deadly – can you tell the difference?
- Team Strategy by R3 Rescue for River Runners
- Clean Lines on Throwbags by Neil Newton Jones| Swiftwater Rescue
- Swiftwater Swimming by R3 Rescue for River Runners
- Life jacket or buoyancy aid? Know the difference by Guy Dresser | Royal Canoe Club
- Using Throwbags for Rescue by R3 Rescue for River Runners
- Effectiveness of bystander CPR in drowning cases by Neil Newton Taylor
- How to make contact with a person needing rescuing by R3 Rescue for River Runners
- How to safely and effectively use the quick-release harness on your life jacket by R3 Rescue for River Runners
- Live bait river rescue – an advanced rescue technique
- Boat wraps and pins – mechanical leverage
- River Anatomy
- Live bait river rescue, an advanced form of rescue
- How to coil a throw rope quickly – by NRS
- Communication signals for paddlers
- Safety Talks – getting it right! Part 1
- Safety Talks – getting it right! Part 2
- Throwbags – some are better than others
- Booking a rafting trip
- Extracting boats after wraps and pins
- Pulley systems
- How to fit a pfd properly
- Safety kayakers
- Foot entrapment – Part 1 – self rescue
- Foot entrapment – Part 2 – assessments
- Foot-entrapment – Part 3 – skills
- Putting rescue skills to use on the water
- Top tips about prusik knots
- Personal responsibility with river safety
- Are you carrying the correct emergency equipment?
- Is the colour of your helmet important?
- Choosing the correct throw bag
- Keep it clean!
Other links to river safety articles and videos:
- Weirs – recycling nightmaress – this video is in German but is a great illustration of how weirs recycle as it recycles a large log repeatedly
- How to equip your safety PFD so you have all your tools on hand – By NRS and Jim Coffey
- R3 Rescue for River Runners – unique set of videos that encompasses all that is involved in safety and rescue for river running
- Video that shows bad and dangerous use of ropes
External links are provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the International Rafting Federation of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation, organisation or individual. The International Rafting Federation bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.
Please let us know about existing external links that you believe are inappropriate.