Decision on Youth age groups concluded
The issue of what age groups we are going to be using for the next few years has now reached it's conclusion.
A survey was sent out to all the members (about 50) and we received 32 replies (after some hard pushing!). The S&C Com have looked at the results of this survey and, after careful consideration, have agreed to go with it's conclusion, which is that we must offer U19 ONLY.
This was based on:
- the initial basic premises that we formed a youth category aimed at U19 which fits in with our long term goals of growing rafting from the base level;
- the survey result;
- the overwhelming number of requests from federations to reduce divisions as it is felt that four divisions are too many for one federation to support (Open, Masters, U19 and U21)
- requests from organisers to reduce divisions as four divisions are too many to manage and finance at an event.
An U21 division would only be created and added if:
- there are at least 20 federations that come to us requesting it;
- it is run separately from the WRC and ERC - such as a University league, in which case we can set the age limits to whatever makes the most sense;
- we allow the WRC host to chose whether they wish to sponsor this age group or not. This would then be added as a question in the bid.
If you have any comments to this decision please send them in IMMEDIATELY.