Race Results

Ibar, Serbia 2019 Results; Video; Photos EC 2019 Series Results: R6 Overall; R4 Overall EC Devil's Stream Results; Photos; Video; EC British Open Results; Photos Canada Nationals Results; Photos: -1-, -2-, -3-. Video H2H. Pre-WRC, Ziyuan Results: Men, Women; Photos: Trng, SP/OC, SL, H2H, DR; Videos: D1, D2, D3, D4; ERC Vrbas, Bosnia Results and media EC Results so far R6: OM; OW. R4: OM; OW. EC Trnavka Results: Sprint; Slalom. Photos. WRC 2019, Tully Results, Photos, press releases, etc EC Wildalpen Results: OM, U23M, OW; Photos EC Priboj, Serbia Results; Photos EC Nottingham Results, Photos: -1-, -2-, -3-. H2H Video EC Romania, Dracula Race Results; Photos WRC 2018 All results more archived Race Results

Race Rules proposed changes – H2H

Home IRF Forums Race Rules – proposed updates 2018/2019 Race Rules proposed changes – H2H

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  IRF admin 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

IRF admin
    Keymaster

13. Head to Head – improvements proposed by various people
    There are many improvements that need to be made to the new-format H2H rules – a lot of it is just improving the wording and layout so it is easier to understand and work with for all. But there are some key rule changes we would like to make so as to improve it and to fit in with what we now see works best.
    So we will not list every minor word or format change, but instead we will set down what the key changes are that are being proposed:
    a. Course Obstacles – make it 4 obstacles, maximum and minimum. (Two on each side of course as has been done.)
    Reasons:

1. The 4 buoy format is working well as has been proven in several races. There is no recognised advantage to the quality of the race by adding more buoys.
    2. More buoys means LESS opportunities for contact between rafts as the teams will have more options to avoid contact. As a contact discipline, this is exactly opposite of what we are trying to achieve.
    3. To keep within reasonable time limits, the new H2H format must use a shorter section of river than the old format. A shorter section of river is also desirable for optimal spectator viewing. More buoys will in most cases require the H2H use a longer section of river. This will negatively impact the length of the race and spectator enjoyment.
    4. More than 4 buoys makes the H2H too much like a Slalom.
    5. Anchoring buoys effectively is labour intensive and often difficult. More buoys will require more time and labour to set up and take down the course.
    6. Purchasing more buoys adds additional expense burdens on the host.
    —————————————————
    b. Buoy/Marker Negotiation:
    i. Markers may be touched by any part of the raft, paddle or team, however hanging markers may not be intentionally displaced.
    ii. A navigation marker is negotiated correctly when:
    ……………..1.The entire raft and all heads pass upstream between the marker and the near shoreline.
    ……………..2.Once a raft has left the buoy – its ultimate track describes a closed loop around the buoy. OR / AND
    ……………..2.The rafts ultimate track, if it was a piece of string and was pulled tight it would loop around the buoy.
    iii. A navigation marker is negotiated incorrectly when:
    ……………1. A buoy marker is submerged by the raft during the negotiation.
    ……………2. A hanging marker is intentionally displaced using hand, arm or paddle while attempting a successful negotiation.
    iv. A Team must negotiate a minimum of one (1) marker positioned near the right shoreline and one (1) marker positioned near the left shoreline.
    v. A Team may choose which markers they wish to negotiate, and may make multiple attempts to negotiate a marker correctly.
    vi. Ramming is allowed at any time during the race unless otherwise instructed by race officials.
    ——————————————————-
    c. Ramming
    Add to the definitions:
    Ramming = A tactic where a team forcefully paddles their raft into the raft of an opposing a team with the intent of slowing their progress.
    ——————————————————–
    d. H2H – change “unsporting” to “unfair”
    Change to: “Disregard for H2H Safety Rules, or unsporting unfair behaviour.”
    Reason: Unsporting is defined differently by different people. Unfair means that the one team had an unfair advantage over the other teams.
    ——————————————————-
    e. Change time limit.
    Change to: “Race intervals in a single round should not exceed 3 minutes and the duration of a single run should be between 1 and 2 no more than 4 minutes.”
    Reason: The time limit refers to the old format, needs to be updated to fit new format.
    ——————————————————-
    f. Add to rule about H2H practise being compulsory: “however, practicing the negotiation of Navigation Markers is not permitted.”
    Reason: same as with Slalom, can’t practise the actual moves before the race.
    ——————————————————-
    g. Body blocking – add: “No one may intentionally interfere with the other raft if they are out of their own raft.”
    Reason: to stop people interfering with rafts when they are not in their own raft.
    ——————————————————-
    FYI. Buoy and marker construction and positioning will be written in more detail and more clearly, but does not specifically need to be discussed or voted on.

• This topic was modified 10 months ago by  IRF admin.
    • This topic was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  IRF admin.

Sean

13a
    AGREE. Four is great from a media and spectator perspective. More than 4 means it could become less head-to-head (contact) which might as well be a sprint around buoys aka giant slalom.
    Also agree from a logistic point of view – if a buoy moves/is knocked/becomes free – it is very time consuming during racing to reset so to reduce the number of potential instances of this happening is good.

13b
    Ensure consistency – use of term buoy vs marker – just ensure it is consistent throughout race rules
    13bi – AGREE
    13bii 1 – AGREE
    13bii 2 (first) – AGREE
    13bii 2 (second) – this can be a note but shouldn’t be a race rule
    13biii 1 – AGREE
    13biii 2 – AGREE but replace “hand, arm” with “any part of the body” as a head or leg could be used if trying to seek a way around this rule
    13biv – AGREE in principle that the rules should state one left and one right but “near shoreline” should be removed (it’s limiting on course designers and removes the option for a middle of the river eddy)
    13bv – AGREE
    13bvi – AGREE

13c
    AGREE

13d
    DISAGREE – unsporting is a violation of rules or behaviours – unfair is just not fair which could mean by ramming an opponent into slower water this is unfair to them but it is still sporting and within the race rules

13e
    AGREE – but what is the new proposed maximum time?

13f
    Should this be an officials designation rather than onus on teams? If the buoys are placed out during training then that is the fault of the organiser and teams shouldn’t be penalised – however, if this is done, it must be done for all teams and not just a few

13g
    AGREE

IRF admin
    Keymaster

From Pieter via email:
    13A agree
    13B agree
    13B 1 agree
    2 agree
    3 agree
    4 agree
    5 agree
    6 agree
    13C agree
    13D agree
    13E agree
    13F agree
    13G agree

IRF admin
    Keymaster

From Nikki via email:

“I agree with all changes. 

I support Sean in if organisers put the buoys out then teams are allowed to practice on them as long as they are out for all teams.”

John Anicito
    Participant

I agree with the proposed changes except for (f.) what about practice days..? Maybe the wording should say “no practice laps or negotiating buoys after final placement” something like that…
    thanks,
    John

Johana
    Participant

I agree with the proposed changes except:

13d: Abstain. Not sure about the correct wording. I prefer that people with English as a first language decide. But the main idea is correct.

13f: Agree with John about the wording

Johana

IRF admin
    Keymaster

From Sue:

I agree with all except:

13biii 2 – I agree with Sean’s comment of “AGREE but replace “hand, arm” with “any part of the body” as a head or leg could be used if trying to seek a way around this rule”
    13biv – I agree with Sean’s comment of “AGREE in principle that the rules should state one left and one right but “near shoreline” should be removed (it’s limiting on course designers and removes the option for a middle of the river eddy)”

13d – having looked at the definitions of unsporting and unfair I think we should leave it as unsporting as they are basically interchangeable.

13f – I agree with John’s wording of “no practice laps or negotiating buoys after final placement”

Goran Lolic
    Participant

13.a. AGREE
    13.b. AGREE
    13.b. i. AGREE
    13.b. ii. 1. AGREE
    13.b. ii. 2 (first). AGREE
    13.b. ii. 2.(second) same as Sean
    13.b. iii. 1. AGREE
    13.b. iii. 2. AGREE, “hand, arm” SHOULD BE REPLACED with “any part of the body”
    13.b.iv. AGREE WITH SEAN COMENTS
    13.b.v. AGREE
    13.b.vi. AGREE
    13.c. AGREE.
    13.d. DISAGREE.
    13.e. AGREE.
    13.f. I prefer john’s proposal.
    13.g. AGREE

IRF admin
    Keymaster

From Tim:

“Ok I agree mostly with the big red head!

13a – AGREE. Four is a great number

13bi – AGREE�  i. Bouy /Markers may be touched by any part of the raft, paddle or team, however hanging markers may not be intentionally displaced.13bii 1 – AGREE
    13bii 2 (first) – AGREE
    13bii 2 (second) – OK by me that this is a race rule
    13biii 1 – AGREE
    13biii 2 – AGREE but replace “hand, arm” with “any part of the body” as a head or leg could be used if trying to seek a way around this rule

13biv – AGREE in principle that the rules should state one left and one right but “near shoreline” should be removed (it’s limiting on course designers and removes the option for a middle of the river eddy)

May be this could be something like one right turn bouy/marker (paddled up stream between bouy/marker and and the right hand river bank) one left turn�  bouy / marker (paddled up stream between bouy/markerand and left hand river bank) ? ((just thinking aloud))

13bv – AGREE
    13bvi – AGREE

13c – AGREE

13d – DISAGREE – unsporting is a violation of rules or behaviours – unfair is just not fair which could mean by ramming an opponent into slower water this is unfair to them but it is still sporting and within the race rules

13e – AGREE – but what is the new proposed maximum time?

13f – Should this be an officials designation rather than onus on teams? If the buoys are placed out during training then that is the fault of the organiser and teams shouldn’t be penalised – however, if this is done, it must be done for all teams and not just a few.

Or organizers could put a blocking line across from bouy’s to bank if out in practice , so rafts can’t be practicing their turns around them. ????

13g – AGREE”

Aleksey
    Participant

Hi, my friends!
    13 a – totally agree
    13 b –
    II.1 The entire raft and all heads go upstream between the marker in accordance with the established course.
    II.2 – completely agree
    II.3 – ok
    III.1 – ok
    III.2 – Agree with Sean
    IV – ok
    V – ok
    VI – OK
    13 c – agree
    13 d – agree with Sean
    13 e – agree
    13 f – I think that learning is completely acceptable.
    13 g – agree

IRF admin
    Keymaster

From Kianoosh:
    13.a- Agree

13.b- Agree

13.b i. Agree

13.c- Agree

13.d- Agree

13.e- Agree

13.f- Agree

13.g- Agree

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.